Water conservation will become more of a focus for local residents in upcoming years. If you’d like to save water a good idea is to make sure your bathroom remodeling includes some of the new WaterSense products. The good news at Metropolitan Bath & Tile is you don’t have to sacrifice – water saving products and gorgeous designs make fabulous decorating partners.
What are WATERSENSE PRODUCTS?
WaterSense® is a voluntary partnership program sponsored by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). Similar to the Energy Star program for appliances. WaterSense was designed to give consumers confidence that water-saving products will work properly and efficiently. The WaterSense label is used on toilets and bathroom faucets that are certified by independent laboratory testing to meet rigorous criteria for both performance and efficiency. It assures customers that a product delivers dependable performance while reducing water use by 20 percent or more. Many American Standard® and Kohler® products are WaterSense certified. To ensure you are purchasing dependable products that help you save water Look for the WaterSense label .
Some water facts:
- By 2050 40% of the world’s countries will have severe water shortages
- 36 states anticipate water shortages by 2013 (US Government Accountability Office). Some, like Texas are experiencing them today.
- 1.6 billion gallons of water are wasted in the US because of inefficient toilets every day
Toilets are big water (& money) wasters
½ the toilets in the US today are older inefficient models – the newest innovations improve toilet performance. If your home had its toilets installed more than 10 years ago, you may be flushing your money and conservation down the drain. Replacing an old toilet could automatically and permanently cut your home water consumption by 25% or more. Newer technology not only saves water, but can actually improve performance and work quietly.
WaterSense and its partners across the country helped Americans save 9.3 billion gallons of water and 1 billion kilowatt hours through use of WaterSense labeled products in 2008, the most recent reporting period. That translates to consumers realizing more than $55 million in water and sewer bill savings.
Look for toilets that flush 1.28 gallons or less, when compared to a 3.5-gallon toilet, can save homeowners up to 16,500 gallons of water per fixture per year.* * Based on average usage of a household of four. Dual Flush can save even more.
How can I conserve with a new faucet?
- Dripping faucets can waste around 20 gallons of water a day.
- You won’t save money by hanging on to your old-fashioned faucets when you remodel. A complete remodeling is the smart course to take – get fully updated with the future in mind. If your faucet is dripping at a rate of one drop per second, you can expect to waste from 75 to hundreds of gallons of water a week.
- Replace older rubber-washer faucets. The lifetime, drip-free performance of ceramic disc valving can save you money spent on maintenance and wasted water due to leaks. You also get smooth and easy handle control.
- Replace faucets without aerated flow restrictors. These restrictors incorporate air into the water stream. The result is a bubbling flow that provides excellent rinsing action while reducing water usage. Removing the flow restrictors from these aerators is not recommended as it may reduce the effectiveness of the aerator, and may make temperature control more difficult.
Small in size, big on impact, KOHLER faucets with low-flow aerators deliver up to 45% water savings over traditional 2.75 gpm faucets.
Are Multi-Spray Showers sustainable?
Multi-spray showers are a fabulous way to relax and give yourself the “spa” treatment. Indulgent, yes, but there are options that can make your new shower experience “green”.
When Metropolitan Bath & Tile installs your new shower we can install diverters to alternate between showerheads. Actually the preferred experience for most users, diverter valves shift the water flow among different showerheads. Use a high-efficiency showerhead as your main showerhead.
Watersaving Showerheads and Handshowers
KOHLER 1.75 gpm water-conserving showerheads and handshowers deliver an impressive 35% water savings over traditional 2.75 gpm showerheads and handshowers.
Remodeling your bathroom with the newest products can save you money (& the planet) in the long run. You’ll love your new bathroom and feel good about doing your part in saving water (& your water bills) at the same time.
Talk to your designer at one of our four convenient locations in Rockville, Bowie, or Towson Maryland or Annandale, Virginia – serving the entire Washington and Baltimore Metro areas for the newest in design and functionality for your new bathroom remodel. Metropolitan Bath & Tile can help you replace that old, inefficient bathroom with the future in mind. Contact us today to get started…